Being obese means having a body mass index of 30 and above. The BMI is calculated using the height and weight of a person. 15% of pregnant women are now in this bracket.
To prevent this it is recommended that you lose weight before getting pregnant. The chances of delivering naturally increase if you are at your optimal weight before pregnancy. This protects your health and the baby’s well-being too.
Do not worry in case you did not have a chance to lose weight before getting pregnant. Delivery in most cases is normal and pretty straightforward. However, overweight can affect the chance of getting complications for both the mother and child.
It is not recommended to lose weight during pregnancy. The only way to properly address any issue is to go to every of your antenatal visits. This way the doctor can record and diagnose every issue that you have.
It is advisable to have some physical activity every day. Physical activity will not harm you or the baby. Diet should also be maintained. As always, a healthy and well-balanced diet is the key.
Remember the exercise doesn’t have to be hard to get benefits. The general rule is to be able to talk while doing the exercise. The exercise is too strenuous if you are becoming breathless while you talk.
There are tests like gestational diabetes which will be done to you if you are already obese during pregnancy. Epidural can be recommended by your anesthetist to relieve pain.
The risk of complications will increase if you are overweight. Here are some of the list:
- High Blood Pressure – The risk doubles compared to women with BMI 25 and below.
- Blood Clots – Pregnant women have a higher chance of blood clots compared to non-pregnant women. This increases if you are overweight.
- Gestational Diabetes – For BMI above 30, there risk is 3 times to get gestational diabetes.
- Baby’s Stuck Shoulder – There are higher chances of this incident for pregnant women with obesity.
- Heavier bleeding after birth.
Do take note that the risk are increased but most of the time overweight women will have a healthy baby just like women with the right weight.